Want to win a snazzy jersey that will make all your fellow triathletes GREEN with envy? Well then...this summer the club will host a just for fun Le Tour de Birmingham. You will have to log onto the clubs STRAVA account to join. Strava segments for the contest will be listed below and we will have segments for both long and short course. Workouts will automatically download from your Garmin Connect account or you can use the Strava app on your phone. This fun contest is open to current club members only.
We will award both a Male and Female winner in the following categories:
Yellow Jersey - The 3 week average of each riders MPH in the combined segments. You can choose which route you do (long course or short) since it’s only average MPH.
This strava segment will NOT have the Belmont climb in it, but you can still ride Belmont to compete in the Polka Dot competition. This way someone NOT wanting to climb can still participate.
Polka Dot Jersey - The rider with the fastest average time climbing Belmont Rd.
White Jersey- Best New Rider (must be new to cycling within the last 2 years). We will take the average MPH for each week. ***please let the club know if you qualify for this category.***
Green Jersey - Most Improved Time over the entire period. This will be based on your average MPH in the segments.
BONUS POINTS are awarded for each ride you participate in, so the person who is the fastest but only comes to one ride, may not win the jersey. The rider who participates each week has the best chance. PARTICIPATION COUNTS!
The following Strava segments will be the designated “zones” that we will award points:
1. Grants Mill - Sicard Hollow to Overton (2.6 miles) (long course). Irondale – Industrial Pace line until first RR crossing (short course).
2. Last Climb Up Old Leeds (0.9 miles) (long course). BOT – Hwy 78 Pace line zone to the hill (short course).
3. Dash Down the parkway (mtn. brook parkway) – both courses.
4. KOM segment: Belmont Rd - both courses.
In honor of Le Tour this contest will kick off on July 11th.
An example of how it works:
Matt - 1st place: 10 points + 5 participation = 15
Jake - 2nd place: 8 points + 5 participation = 13
Burt - 3rd place: 6 points + 5 participation = 11
4th place and below: 4 points + 5 Participation = 9
*These points are added to the July 12th and 19th rider points.
Craig - 1st place: 10 points +5 = 15 (did not come to July 5th ride - NO extra points)
Jake - 2nd place: 8 points + 5 = 13 + 13 from July 5th = 26 POINTS
Max - 3rd place: 6 points + 5 = 11 + 9 from July 5th = 20 points
4th place and below: 4 points + 5 participation (Burt placed 8th so he has 9 from this week and 9 from last week = 18).
*Jake is winning because he had good rides both weeks. Max moves into 2nd place because he came both weeks. Burt is in 3rd even though he finished in the back because he participated both weeks. This will make the July 19th ride VERY important.
You can participate in all categories (except Best New Rider - unless you meet the 2 year qualification), but you can only win ONE jersey (someone can not take both the yellow and polka dot - Sorry, we want to share the fun!).
To Join the Vulcan Tri Club on Strava:
1. Create a Strava account if you don’t currently have one. (Don’t worry, it’s free!)
2. Under the “Explore” tab at the top, choose “Clubs”.
3. Type in “Vulcan Tri” in the box asking to search for Club Name. You can leave location box blank. Make sure the circle “All” is check-marked and then hit Search.
4. The Vulcan Tri club page should appear and you can Join from there.